Commemorative issues since 2020 have continued to cover a diverse range of topics and to push the boundaries of coin innovation, including the release of the first partially colorized coins and first privy-marked commemorative.
2020 saw the release of coins for the 60th anniversary of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. This program was not as popular as the Apollo 11 coins were, but it included the first two partially colorized American coins ever struck – a silver dollar and half dollar. These coins also included only the third U.S. Mint curved half dollars, silver dollars and $5 gold coins after the 2014 baseball and 2019 Apollo coins. There also a special Enhanced Uncirculated half dollar.
The second 2020 program was on women’s suffrage and was issued to mark the centennial of the passage of the 19th amendment and included a special medal.
In 2021 coins were issued for former teacher and astronaut Christa McAuliffe who died in the Challenger Space Shuttle disaster along with her colleagues and to pay tribute to our brave law enforcement officers and the National Law Enforcement Memorial and Museum.
In 2022 two programs with a trio of coins were issued for the Purple Heart and the Negro League, including another partially colorized coin, the Purple Heart Hall of Honor Silver Dollar, and the very first privy-marked commemorative – the Negro League Centennial Silver Dollar. The latter was not the first U.S. coin issued with privy marks but was the first commemorative silver dollar that has that feature.
Visit the following pages for additional information on the United States Mint’s commemorative coins struck since 2020:
- 2020 Basketball Half Dollar
- 2020 Basketball Silver Dollar
- 2020 Basketball $5 Gold Coin
- 2020 Women’s Suffrage Silver Dollar
- 2021 Christa McAuliffe Silver Dollar
- 2021 Law Enforcement Half Dollar
- 2021 Law Enforcement Silver Dollar
- 2021 Law Enforcement $5 Gold Coin
- 2022 Negro League Half Dollar
- 2022 Negro League Silver Dollar
- 2022 Negro League $5 Gold Coin
- 2022 Purple Heart Half Dollar
- 2022 Purple Heart Silver Dollar
- 2022 Purple Heart $5 Gold Coin